Submitting a Communications Request:
Please submit all communication requests via the Communications Submission Form on the McKenzie PTA Website.
When planning your event remember that its success depends in part on how well you get the word out to the McKenzie community. The primary and best way to do this is to use the McKenzie PTA Website and the McKenzie Monitor (email newsletter). Other communication options, all discussed below, are available to support your Monitor and website messages.
Submitting a Communications Request:
Please submit all communication requests via the Communications Submission Form on the McKenzie PTA Website. Click here to fill out and submit your Communication Submission.
For general questions and comments or your request doesn’t fit within this form, send your request via email to Colleen Shinners at email@example.com.
PTA Website: The Website homepage consists of several different sections and has a different appearance than last year. The center section will have information about upcoming events, volunteer requests or other information that committees can post, all which can link to a separate committee or event page. There are also small blocks and menu bars for committees to post information on a longer-term basis. The general guidelines for the use of the website are:
- Submit all requests at least one week prior to desired posting; please provide additional time if your request is very complicated.
- The homepage has limited space and occasionally the timing of events requires prioritization of the spaces on the webpage. We will do our best to accommodate all requests, but keep in mind that the sooner we know about the request the better we can plan.
- In most situations you’ll want to split up your message into a short piece for the homepage with a link to a separate page with your event details. In addition, every committee already has it’s own page where you can post general information.
- Requests should be submitted in ready-to-use form and should contain all the required detail without need for significant editing. We rely on you to check dates and other facts so please make sure you validate the details with your PTA VP or committee chair before submission.
McKenzie Monitor: The general guidelines for the Monitor are:
- Submit articles by 3:00 PM on the prior Wednesday (the Monitor comes out on either Friday or Saturday each week).
- Since many people read the Monitor on a phone, we suggest that you keep the articles as short as possible. If you have a lot of information to communicate, put the most important facts into the article and link to the website for details.
- Request should be submitted in ready-to-use form and should contain all the required detail without need for significant editing. We rely on you to check dates and other facts so please make sure you validate the details with your PTA VP or committee chair before submission.
Main Lobby Bulletin Board: The large bulletin board in the Main Lobby is available for events that are kid-focused and is used to get kids excited about an event. This bulletin board is split into 3 sections, a large center section and two smaller sections on either side. The side sections are normally used to display student art, but alternative uses can be arranged with advance planning. Should you wish to use the Main Lobby bulletin board, please submit your request via the Bulletin Board Request Form as soon as possible (at least one month in advance). This limited resource needs advance planning.
Front and Back Entry Bulletin Boards: There are bulletin boards in the front and back entryways and a cork strip by the Kindergarten door used to post small posters/signs, reminders and other information. Requests to post information on these boards (along with the poster or information to be posted) must be submitted directly to Dr. Welter 48 hours notice prior to desired posting.
Email Blasts/e-Flyers: In limited circumstances a separate email to the full McKenzie community may be needed. Like the Monitor, these emails are sent by Dr. Welter and shouldn’t be overused. Email blasts are limited to one per event. Email blasts are appropriate when:
- Used for larger events when there is a large amount of information to communicate;
- Used to communicate new or changed information about an event, particularly when changes are made close to the time of the event; and/or
- Used as reminders for events taking place over the weekend.
In addition, to avoid inundating parents with emails, we’d like to avoid sending more than one email blast per week. As a result, sometimes the timing of your request may have to be adjusted if there is a conflict with another request.
As these requests are outside of the norm, the procedures are slightly different. If you wish to send an email blast, send the request to your PTA Executive Board VP representative and to Colleen Shinners at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once approved, either Colleen Shinners or your Exec Board VP will forward it on to Dr. Welter. This process ensures that the email is final and approved before sending to Dr. Welter. Please do not send requests directly to Dr. Welter.
Room Parents: There may be times when you would like communicate via Room Parents; for example if you want to communicate only to a particular grade. This method of communication should be used only in limited circumstances. All requests to send information via Room Parents should be sent to the VP of Room Parents at email@example.com. It is important to use this single point of contact to disseminate the information to ensure Room Parents (and all parents) recognize the source of the emails.
Newspapers and other Periodicals. The Wilmette Life (Pioneer Press) and the Wilmette Beacon both publish school notes and articles on school happenings. There may be other Wilmette publications available. If you would like to get publicity for your event in one of these periodicals, please send a request at least 3 weeks prior to desired publication as there is a long lead time.
Communication Help: Need extra help figuring out how best to communicate? Need to spruce up your graphics? Just contact us at the email or numbers below and someone on our team will help you figure out communications timing, strategy, look and feel, etc. for your event. Please give us at least a couple weeks prior to your event to help you do this planning.